Cleaning your air ducts will provide you with clean, high-quality air. Indoor air quality is essential in any environment. Whether it be home or office, you will benefit from cleaning your air ducts.
A rule of thumb from the National Air Duct Cleaners Association is if your air ducts or filters look dirty, they probably are. Dirt and dust that you can see in the ducts or filters are signs they need cleaning. Removing the dirt and dust from the ducts and replacing the filters will create clean quality air that is ideal to breathe for your health. Here are the top benefits of cleaning your ducts regularly:
- Indoor Air Quality – Indoor air quality is a significant benefit of cleaning your ducts. Your HVAC system takes in the air and then puts it back out into your home or office. Practically “breathing” air throughout. Pollutants will occur in any indoor space where there are people, pets, chemicals, and air pollutants. The HVAC system circulates the air through its system 5-7 times each day. Along with this, the circulation can create buildup and contamination within the ductwork. Cleaning ducts will guarantee that your indoor air quality is clean and free of pollutants.
- Money Savings – Another benefit of duct cleaning is money savings. With a dirty system, especially with extreme hot and cold temps, you will notice higher monthly utility costs. By cleaning the system, you will optimize the efficiency of your Heating and Cooling. Cleaning can result in savings through energy use of up to 20%. Having the entire system inspected and cleaned is an essential piece of keeping your heating and cooling system running well.
- Reduce Allergens In the Air – Cleaning your ducts will benefit you if there are people in your household or office who are sensitive to allergens. Allergens such as pet hair and dander, pollen, and cigarette smoke can create health issues. HVAC systems filter out the allergens in your home and office, leaving air much cleaner to breathe. Ensuring your ducts are clean and free of allergens, you will reduce sickness, discomfort, doctor bills, and sick time for offices.
- Extend The Life of Your HVAC System – Over time, dust and debris will build up in your ducts and throughout the heating and cooling system. If you do not clean them as needed, you may compromise the unit’s efficiency and life span. The motor of your HVAC unit will experience less wear and tear when your ducts are clean. Most importantly, if you clean the unit and ducts, your HVAC unit will last longer. Regular maintenance will be more cost-effective than having to replace the entire HVAC unit if it breaks down.
- Ensuring a Safe Home or Office – The fire risk increases when a buildup of dust and debris gets trapped in the ductwork. Unfortunately, every year homes catch fire because of dirty ducts. There is a greater risk if your HVAC unit is older or uses fuels such as propane to run your fireplace, stove, or furnace. When any of these appliances come in contact with debris in the system, the fire risk increases. Cleaning your air ducts will reduce the risk of fire. And having an inspection will assess your home for any other HVAC related fire hazards.
What are the next steps? Scheduling a duct cleaning is a crucial step to ensure your home or office’s safety and cleanliness. If someone in your home or office struggles with allergies or breathing, cleaning your air ducts will help ease these symptoms. Having your ducts cleaned if you recently have done renovations or installed new carpet or flooring is a good idea. Or if you have had a deep clean done using lots of chemicals, then it’s also a great time to have your ducts cleaned. If you have moved into a new home and have no service records for the HVAC, you should get the unit cleaned to ensure cleanliness and indoor air purity.